Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Me, You, My Genius

"Mamma rock you," is what Caleb says before he goes to bed at night. I rock him partly to sleep in the glider before placing him in the crib for the night. Well, for a couple weeks he has been saying this, and although grammatically incorrect, it is really cute. The night before Christian left for Chicago, Caleb said, "No, Dadda rock you, Dadda rock you," meaning he wanted Daddy to rock him, not Mommy. He does not mean to have Daddy rock me, Mommy. It is just his cute way of communicating.

However, this morning Caleb said, "Momma read to me; I sit with you." What? Did he just demonstrate proper understanding and usage of "me" and "you"? After just a couple weeks of using "you", he now understands proper usage of the word! And, did you notice the fact that he is speaking in complete sentences? Yea, he has been doing that all week, last week too. What is happening? My baby has grown into a toddler, and my toddler is turning into a little boy!

I am a little sad that it is going so fast, because I admit, I think the baby talk is reallty cute. Unfortunately, I have not been pulling out the video camera frequently, or ever, to capture this cute baby talk either, and it is rapidly disappearing. I better video some talk tomorrow!
Oh, and while Christian was in Chicago all week, we would talk to him on speaker phone in the morning. I usually say, "Bye Honey" when getting off the phone, I guess, because when I told Caleb to say, "Bye Bye Dadda", like he usually does, he said, "Bye Honey". Really, it was absolutely hilarious. He has done it a few times since then too. Pretty funny.

2 comments:

Fiona said...

I love when kids pick up things we say, that we hadn't even realised we said!
At the last family I nannied for the little toddler Anna used to say "hi gorgeous!" when I arrived because that's what her mum always said to her... :)

Robin Hinck said...

I feel the same way about the disappearing baby-talk...on the one hand, it is amazing to witness their newfound learning (and cute attempts at complex sentences) but the baby talk is so cute...and so transient.